Saturday, October 26, 2013

31st Annual Eerie Erie 5k Race Report - Erie, Colorado

65 days

2nd Place Overall, 1st AG. 18:22

I'd been excited for this race all week.  Running has been going well of late and I was feeling the speed returning to the legs over the past few weeks.  I'm still surprised that I'm running decently well as all the sleep deprivation since Felix was born about 2 months ago has been hitting me in waves of tiredness lately.  Still, focusing on quality more than quality has been easier to fit into the schedule and knowing you only have a 40min workout available means getting down to business more quickly.

I was really shooting to go sub 18min at altitude again.  I can't believe it's been 10 years or so since a 17:25 at a Cinco Cinco 5k in FoCo and a 17:57 in Aurora the same year.  It's something of a milestone for me and one that I want to prove is not out of reach from the aging process.  I think I'm close and just need to have the right course, conditions and competition.




The Race

There were a couple of course changes this year due to the flood damage, and taking in some of the new bike paths in the area.  I purposefully steered clear of the 10k as I remember I was surprised how hilly it was the last time I did it, and wanted a benchmark time on a flatter course to see where my fitness is at.

The race started quick with a few young bucks flying off the line.  Boulder is full of legendary athletes but these guys were probably at 4min/mi pace for the first qtr mile.  It was either going to be a State 5k record or some spectacular blow ups.  It ended up being a bit of the latter as not long after the first mile I passed two of them and moved into second place.  The course rolls and winds through neighborhoods before hitting a concrete bike path and looping back around towards town.  I settled into pace and tried to run on feel.  I only saw the 2 mile marker in the race and got a split of 11:34 or 5:47 pace which was a hair under 18min pace.  Perfect, I thought.  Just keep it together with a big push at the end and you can do it. Well the last mile was rough (when is it not in a 5k right?) and with a few hills and a steady headwind the time slipped away just as I slipped on the winners puke at the finish line.  I don't think he was ever running scared but at least he wasn't just jogging round!

Here's a pic of the eventual winner and how spread out it got in the early going.  You can't even see me in the shot way down at the end of the road.

The race continues to be a great little event.  Looking forward to bringing Felix in the stroller next year and getting him involved in some of the Halloween festivities, and give Wendy a chance to race if she wants.

Great job to Amanda for rocking the Women's field and bring home the win and the ridiculously big trophy! Wearing a Tutu no less.



No comments:

Post a Comment